What kind of design and construction information can be retrieved from architectural model?
The clarity of the information that is incorporated in Revit models depends upon the LOD (LOD 100, LOD 200 and LOD 300 etc) or levels of detailing implemented by design and construction professionals during design development. If higher levels of detailing such as LOD 400 and LOD 500 are implemented by AEC professionals during design development then highly intricate architectural details can be obtained from architectural model.
A variety of non-geometrical data can also be included in BIM models which allow retrieving additional project information such as information on cost estimates, quantity takeoff and scheduling etc.
Information that can be obtained from architectural model
- If in case clients want the modelers to generate the architectural model with LOD 100 then the model will not be able to provide clear information on architectural elements as it contains information on total building mass, total area of the building and its height and volume etc.
- But on the other hand if architectural model is created with the implementation of detailing levels such as LOD 400 and LOD 500 even minor details about architectural elements can be obtained by design and construction professionals from this model.
- Since with the assistance of LOD 400 and LOD 500 architectural model elements are developed as individual assemblies, they contain effective and accurate information about element size, shape, their location and quantity as well as orientation.
- From such architectural models design and construction professionals can also obtain correct information pertaining to detailing of components and their fabrication.
- If in case 4D and 5D is added by modelers in the architectural model which is developed with the implementation of LOD 500 then it becomes highly potential in context of information retrieval.
- Building stakeholders can obtain intricate geometrical information from it along with the information on construction, precise scheduling, correction quantity takeoffs and accurate bill of materials etc.
- Both design and time based collisions and clashes can be effectively identified by AEC professionals with the help of these models.
- Architectural model allow architects and engineers to identify whether the architectural design developed so far is feasible or not when it comes to constructing it within the budget.
In this way enormous important information can be obtained from architectural model developed with high detailing levels.